Sex is enjoyable and emotionally satisfying, but it can also be good for your physical health, particularly regular sex can be good for your heart.
Studies have found many health benefits of sex. It was once thought that patients with a heart condition or who have had a heart attack should refrain from sexual activity. Not only do doctors no longer think that is true, but medical research has found that having an active sex life can actually improve your heart health.
Current medical research suggests that men who have sex at least twice a week and women who report having satisfying sex lives are indeed less likely to have a heart attack or stroke.
There are several reasons why having regular sexual activity provides protective benefits for your heart.
In addition to the following five reasons sex can improve your heart health, sex also brings your closer to your partner. That feeling of intimacy and bonding can lower feelings of loneliness, depression, and anxiety, all of which have been linked to a higher risk of cardiovascular disease.
Five Good Reasons Why Having Sex is Good for Your Heart
- Sex burns calories – Just can’t feel motivated to get to the gym? “Workout” in the bedroom instead. Studies have shown that the average love-making session burns about 150 calories.
- Sex reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease – A huge study conducted by the New England Research Institute in 2010 concluded that sex reduces the risk of stroke and heart attack.
- Sex reduces stress – Oxytocin and the other hormones released during sex also calm the nerves and reduce stress and anxiety.
- Sex fights depression and boosts mood – A healthy sex life not only creates that feeling of euphoria just after orgasm, but it is also an effect that can last long after. Psychological research indicates that sexually active adults have more self-esteem, more self-confidence and are less likely to suffer from depression and anxiety.
- Sex can help to regulate sleep – It’s a joke that men like to nod off after sex, but the truth is, after achieving orgasm, the brain releases a number of hormones such as norepinephrine, serotonin, and oxytocin that help you to feel relaxed and fall asleep. Regular sex can lead to more regular sleep patterns.
Is Sex Dangerous for People With Heart Disease?
There is a fear that sexual activity is dangerous for people with heart disease or a heart condition. This is because they believe that the physical exertion of engaging in sex might cause a heart attack. This fear is largely unfounded.
While sexual activity does increase your heart rate, it’s not something that most people with heart disease that is stable and under control should worry about. In general, if you’re able to climb stairs or jog or walk a mile without difficulty – unless otherwise advised by your doctor, it’s safe for you to have sex.
What are Other Ways to Improve Your Heart Health?
In addition to trying to have sex more often, there are other changes you can make to your lifestyle that can help you improve your heart health.
- Eat a “heart-healthy” diet
- Get enough exercise
- Get enough sleep
- Minimize the consumption of alcohol
- Don’t smoke
- Reduce stress
- Reduce the amount of salt in your diet
- Lose extra pounds
Hormone Replacement Therapy, Sex Drive, and Heart Health
The positive impact of regular sexual activity on heart health and for overall health has been very well established. Doctors think that, in particular, men and women over 60 should continue to enjoy an active sex life because of the many anti-aging benefits of sex.
However, we all know that once you get to a certain age, for men, in particular, it is not uncommon to have some “trouble in the bedroom.” Most men over the age of 50 start to experience some issues with sex drive and erectile dysfunction. But did you know that both of those sexual health issues are largely due to age-related hormone decline?
Both testosterone and human growth hormone drop significantly as you age, and interestingly enough, both are related to sexual performance as well as heart health.
Hormone replacement therapy reduces your risk of heart attack, stroke, and other heart diseases, as well as improves sexual performance in both men and women.
Our doctors have found that as long as there are no health issues holding you back, everyone should enjoy an active sex life for as long as they would like and are able to. In fact, several studies have found that sex has many health benefits and may even help you live longer!
Now that you know a lot more about sexual activity and heart health, why not contact us and learn more about the many ways we have to improve your sexual wellness and your overall longevity?