Table of Contents
Human growth hormone (HGH) is an essential component of the human endocrine system. It works to support bone and joint health, to spur muscle growth, and, in combination with the closely related insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) produced in the liver, regulates fat metabolism. When it is found in optimal levels in the blood, the overall impact of human growth hormone is to ensure the growth of healthy muscle and bone tissue. In this article, we’ll discuss the role of GH in the human body, what medications treat the conditions, and the drug options available to US patients.
The Importance of HGH in the Body
As men and women move into adulthood, HGH still serves crucial functions for well-being. Although the dangers of low GH for children have been well-known for years, scientists have recently developed a stronger understanding of why GH is so important for adults as well. To get a better idea of what normal circulating levels of GH men and women should expect, have a look at this chart:
|Normal GH Levels||0.4 to 10 nanograms per milliliter (ng/mL)||1 to 14 nanograms per milliliter (ng/mL)|
Quick and accurate testing can now easily diagnose an HGH deficiency. If you experience the following symptoms, they could be a result of low GH levels
- Anxiety or depression.
- Decrease in sexual function and interest.
- Elevated triglyceride (cholesterol) levels.
- Difficulty concentrating
- Dry skin.
- Baldness (in men)
- Loss of muscle mass or strength.
- Chronic fatigue.
If you suspect that growth hormone deficiency could be affecting your quality of life, schedule an appointment with an experienced provider who is trained to diagnose the disorder.
HGH Deficiency: What Can You Do About It?
If test results indicate that you indeed have a GH deficiency, advances in modern medicine mean that replacing them naturally and safely is possible with HGH injections using medicines sourced from leading US pharmaceutical firms.
What Delivery Method Options Do Patients Have for HGH Replacement Therapy?
The following options exist for patients who are beginning replacement therapy:
Syringe and vial. With this method, the patient prepares injections himself or herself, combining the human growth hormoe and mixing solution and then loading it into the vial. This option works best for experienced patients who wish to titrate their dosages themselves. It is not recommended for “beginners” because of the preparation involved.
Needle-free injections. Patients who have a fear of needles may choose needle-free injections. Studies have shown that needle-free administration methods are as effective as traditional methods for increasing circulating HGH levels. However, this option is more expensive than others.
Injection Pens. Patients on the go, that just beginning therapy, and those who don’t want to deal with the hassle of preparing their own injections often find enormous benefit in the use of injection pens in terms of sticking to the treatment protocols recommended by their healthcare provider. Below, we’ll discuss why many patients prefer to use injection pens to self-administer HGH.
The Benefits of HGH Therapy Using Injection Pens
Injecting HGH directly into the blood is a superior method than oral medications because it is the only way to proven to successfully boost HGH levels in the blood.
When HGH is administered orally in the form of pills, as gels or patches, or other methods, the delicate structure of the GH molecules becomes damaged. Injection is the only method proven to deliver GH intact into the blood where it exerts its activity.
How to Use Injection Pens
Injections pens are small devices, roughly the size of a thick pen, that allow for the quick, easy, and reliable injections of carefully titrated amounts of GH, depending on the patient’s needs.
The major advantages of injections pens are:
- Ease of use.
- Transportability (ideal for people who travel).
- Consistent dosages.
The attraction of injection pens is that they make the process as pain-free and fast as possible, encouraging patients to stay on top of their GH regimen as prescribed by their provider.
Injection pens essentially consist of a vial, syringe, and needle – all the main components of a kit – in one device.
Patients who use injections pens report lower levels of pain and anxiety compared to patients who use traditional methods of injections.
A General Guide to Administering HGH With Injection Pens
WordAlthough each variety of injection pen comes with a unique set of features and instructions, the general step-by-step administration of HGH using injection pens includes the following steps:
- Step 1: Sanitize materials. Wash your hands and wipe down the needle with alcohol.
- Step 2: Insert the appropriate cartridge into the injection pen to mix the HGH with the solvent. Make sure you understand the appropriate dosage when preparing the injection.
- Step 3: Attach the plunger to the pen.
- Step 4: Disinfect the injection site with alcohol.
- Step 5: Inject the HGH from the pen.
Again, each injection pen has its own manufacturer’s step-by-step injection guide that comes with each pen. Always remember to carefully follow the instructions for safe and effective injections every time.
Comparisons of HGH Injections Pens Available in the US by Manufacturer
Several options exist for US patients in terms of manufacturers and types of injection pens. Here is a comparison of the HGH injection pens available to US consumers.
Novo Nordisk (Norditropin©)
WordNovo Nordisk is a highly respected Danish pharmaceutical giant with operations around the globe. The company specializes in HGH medications and is recognized as an industry standard-bearer. Its HGH injection pens consistently receive high praise for their ease of use and durability.
- Description: The FlexPro© pen is the flagship HGH injection product of Novo Nordisk. It comes in four different strengths, depending on the patient’s needs. A doctor can help select the right dosage.
- How to use: Please see the manufacturer’s handy, free web guide for administration instructions.
- Storage: Prior to first use, the pen must be refrigerated at 36°F to 46°F Fahrenheit. After opening, it can either be left out at room temperature for use within 3 weeks or it must be kept within the 36°F to 46°F range for longer-term storage. Do not shake the pen.
- Pros and Cons: The company prioritizes ease of use, one of the main benefits that users report as the reason that they choose the FlexPro© over competing products. It comes pre-loaded with GH and all the component parts are ready to use, making it a breeze for people on the go.
- US Pricing: A 1.5-milliliter solution typically costs $700.
- Description: NordiFlex© pens “ultra-thin,” “ultra-short” needles in order to minimize pain at the injection site and to make the process as easy as possible for users.
- How to use: Injections should be administered in the evening, either 6 or 7 days a week depending on your doctor’s instructions. Choose varying sites for the injections to prevent complications including damage to tissues under the skin. Do not shake the pen.
- Storage: The pen should be stored between 36°F to 46°F before opening. After the initial dose is given, it should either be stored at room temperature if it will be used within 3 weeks or kept in the refrigerator for the duration of its use.
- Advantages: This is a great option for patients who are concerned about pain. Also, the pen’s “needle-hider” prevents the user from seeing the needle during the process, improving comfort for people with anxiety about using needles.
- US Pricing: NordiFlex© is sold in the US for an average of $1,010 per milliliter solution. 3 mg solutions are available for around $3,040.
- Description: The NordiLet© is a highly functional HGH injection pen with similar features to the NordiFlex© and NordiPro© pens, its sister products from the same manufacturer. It features the same ultra-thin needles used in Novo Nordisk’s other products.
- How to use: To administer NordiLet©, use the “click” device on the pen. In the 5mg/1.5 mL solution, 1 click is equivalent to 0.0667 mg dosage. In the 10mg/1.5 mL solution, the dose per click is 0.133 mg. Your doctor will help determine the right dosage for you and to calculate the number of “clicks” needed for each session. As always, change the location of injections to prevent complications. Never shake the pen.
- Storage: NordiLet© should be refrigerated at all times prior to first use at 36°F to 46°F. After the initial session, the pen can be safely left at room temperature for use within 4 weeks of opening, or it can be stored for longer in the refrigerator.
- Pros and Cons: Rather than milligrams (mg’s), the NordiLet© uses international units (iu’s). This can potentially be confusing for users unfamiliar with this measurement system. The use of conversion tables is necessary to titrate the proper dosage.
- US Pricing: Cost information not available.
Pfizer is arguably the most recognizable pharmaceutical firm in the US. Its headquarters are located in New York. It is consistently recognized as one of the highest-caliber manufacturers of HGH on the market. Genotropin© is Pfizer’s brand name for HGH supplements. The company makes a variety of pens.
Genotropin Miniquick Pen©
- Description: Genotropin © is Pfizer’s patented formulation of HGH that is popular among adults for treating growth hormone deficiencies. The firm’s proprietary Miniquick Pen© provides easy injections. Many leading healthcare providers prefer Genotropin for its superior quality.
- How to use: Please see for Pfizer’s detailed instructions on using Geontropin Miniquick Pen© for best practices.
- Storage: The Genotropin Miniquick Pen© must be refrigerated at 36°F to 46°F before and after opening. If the pen will be used within 3 months of opening, it can be left at room temperature.
- Pros and Cons: The Miniquick Pen© requires more preparation than some other pens. However, quality is reliably consistent.
- US Pricing: A 0.2 mg/0.25mL solution with 7 syringes costs around $130. This is a one-week supply.
Genotropin Mixer Pen©
- Description: The Genotropin Mixer Pen© utilizes a two-chamber cartridge design for easy loading and subcutaneous administration of HGH.
- How to use: Please see <a href=”http://labeling.pfizer.com/ShowLabeling.aspx?id=596″>Pfizer’s complete guide</a> to safely use the Mixer pen.
- Storage: The Genotropin Mixer Pen© and cartridges should be stored in refrigerated environments, 36°F to 46°F.
- Pros and Cons: The Genotropin Mixer Pen© has more component pieces than others on the market. It is easy to use with simple instructions.
- Cost on the market: A 12mg/36IU solution costs roughly $350.
Genotropin Pen 12®
- Description: The Genotropin Pen 12® is a mixing device for HGH formulations. The pen is engineered for maximum efficiency and ease of use. It follows a similar design to the Genotropin Pen 5®, but it delivers a higher dosage.
- How to use: For the complete how-to guide for using Genotropin Pen 12®, please refer to Pfizer’s detailed instructions.
- Storage: The Genotropin Pen 12® must be kept refrigerated, between 36°F to 46°F.
- Pros and Cons: The Genotropin Pen 12® is highly durable and requires no special maintenance.
- Cost on the market: 12 mg solutions of mixing powder cost around $1,600.
Genotropin Pen 5®
- Description: The Genotropin Pen 5® follows a similar design to the 12 mg pen, but is designed for injection of smaller amounts.
- How to use: Refer to the manufacturer’s guide for instructions on safe use.
- Storage: The Genotropin Pen 5® should be kept refrigerated between 36°F to 46°F.
- Pros and Cons: The pen’s cartridges are easily replaceable, the products are durable, and extensive research and development have proven the effectiveness of all Genotropin© injection pens. The battery typically lasts two or more years.
- US Pricing: 5 mg powder for the Genotropin Pen 5® retail in the US for approximately $700.
To get a side-by-side cost comparison of HGH injections pens available in the US (according to https://www.managedcaremag.com/):
|Product||Total mg||WAC price|
per package ($)
Per mg ($)
|Norditropin NordiFlex 5 mg||5||248,37||49,67||1,6||1,5||0,025|
|Norditropin NordiFlex 10 mg||10||496,72||49,67||1,6||3||0,05|
|Norditropin NordiFlex 15 mg||15||745,1||49,67||1,6||4,5||0,075|
|Norditropin Nordipen 10 mg||5||248,37||49,67||1,6||1,25||0,05|
|Norditropin Nordipen 15 mg||15||745,1||49,67||1,6||4||0,1|
|Humatrope pen 6 mg||6||298||49,67||4,8||1,2||0,1|
|Humatrope pen 12 mg||12||596||49,67||4,8||2,4||0,2|
|Humatrope pen 24 mg||24||1192||49,67||4,8||4,8||0,4|
|Humatrope vial 5 mg||5||248,35||49,67||4,8||NA||NA|
|Genotropin 5,8 mg||5||231,54||46,31||12,5||2||0,1|
|Genotropin 13,8 mg||12||568||47,33||12,5||4||0,2|
|Nutropin AQ pen cartridge||10||496,7||49,67||9,5||4||0,1|
|Nutropin AQ vial 10 mg||10||496,7||49,67||9,5||NA||NA|
|Nutropin vial 5 mg||5||248,35||49,67||9,5||NA||NA|
|Nutropin vial 10 mg||10||496,7||49,67||9,5||NA||NA|
|Saizen 5 mg||5||225,55||45,11||5||4||0,1|
|Saizen 8,8 mg||8,8||360,88||41,01||5||4||0,1|
Merck Serano (Omnitrope, Saizen, Serostim)
Founded in Germany in 1668, Merck is one of the oldest commercial producers of medicine in the world. The firm is an industry leader in high-grade pharmaceuticals, including HGH formulations.
- Description: Omnitrope® pens come ready to use with no preparation required. They are lightweight and convenient. Users consistently report positive experiences across the web in testimonials and reviews. Merck’s HGH formulations are some of the most popular in the world, including within the United States.
- How to use: For a guide on use, head over to the manufacturer’s instructions, available for free on the web.
- Storage: Omnitrope® pens should be stored between 36°F to 46°F. Keep out of the light.
- Pros and Cons: Merck is an established, respected pharmaceutical manufacturer. Omnitrope® is one of the most widely used HGH supplements on the market.
- US Pricing: a 5mg/1.5 mL solution of Omnitrope® retails in the US for around $2,600.
- Description: Omnitrope Click Easy® cartridges utilize patented technology to deliver HGH injections as quickly and easily as possible, making self-administration a breeze.
- How to use: Please visit the manufacturer’s site for complete instructions on how to use Click Easy® cartridges.
- Storage: Click Easy® cartridges must be stored at standard refrigeration temperatures from 36°F to 46°F.
- Pros and Cons: The Click Easy® cartridges are user-friendly and intuitive in function. They are sleek and easily transportable. They can be easily swapped out of a compatible injection pen.
- US Pricing: 5mg cartridges cost around $2,600.
- Description: The easypod® delivery system for HGH injections is electronic and fully automated, providing an interactive experience for users and their healthcare providers by sending data in real-time between patients and doctors. It is designed for use with Saizen® cartridges.
- How to use: Detailed instructions for patient use can be found here.
- Storage: Before mixing, the easypod© can be stored at room temperature. After mixing, it must be refrigerated between 36°F to 46°F.
- Pros and Cons: Scientific research has proven that using the easypod® delivery system improve adherence to treatment regimens prescribed by doctors. Because of its light weight and small size, the easypod© can be transported and stored discreetly. However, it is slightly more costly than average HGH formulations.
- US Pricing: A 5mg solution of Saizen© injectable powder costs around $700.
Eli Lily (Humatrope Pen)
Eli Lily is a homegrown American pharmaceutical company with its headquarters located in Indianapolis, Indiana. It is the brainchild of the famous Civil War-era colonel, Eli Lilly.
- Description: The Humatrope© Pen is a proprietary HGH delivery system designed for optimal patient comfort and ease of use. It comes in 6 mg, 12 mg, and 24 mg cartridges.
- How to use: Please see Eli Lily’s web-based instruction guide for step-by-step instructions for use.
- Storage: The Humatrope© pen should be stored in refrigerated conditions at 36°F to 46°F.
- Pros and Cons: Users consistently report positive experiences using Humatrope© pens because of the previously mentioned ease of use. No notable cons have been reported.
- US Pricing: Depending on the strength (6 mg, 12 mg, or 24 mg), the price of the Humatrope© Pen ranges from $1,400 to $5,700.
The Bottom Line on HGH Injection Pens
HGH injection pens offer a versatile, convenient solution for quick and pain-free injections of human growth hormone. Always consult with your doctor before beginning HGH therapy. Be sure to source your HGH injection pens from a reputable provider to ensure high quality and safety.